020 8979 8116
Call us today
Email enquiry

Make An Enquiry

Name: *
Company:
Email: *
Telephone: *
Enquiry:
 
* obligatory fields

History

Originally, Platt’s Eyot was a typical Thames osier bed, located opposite to the 16th Century Parish Wharf at Hampton, used to load bricks onto barges from the nearby brick fields on the site of the Stain Hill reservoir, to construct Hampton Court Palace.

Around 1866 a local man, Tom Tagg, built a boatyard and distinctive house on the island, which remains today, before the island was taken over by Moritz Immisch who made and operated electrical launches along the Thames up to Henley.

In 1904 John Thorneycroft, a designer and builder of high speed motor boats, started an operation at Platts Eyot and named it Hampton Launch Works. During both World Wars, Platts Eyot was famous for building Coastal Motor Boats, or high speed motor torpedo boats.

The Thorneycroft Yard was still operating in the early 1960’s advertising the building and repairing of commercial, service and pleasure craft and providing a complete service for yacht owners, including covered moorings.  The island was further developed in the late 1960’s with the provision of piled moorings around virtually its entire boundary.

MOORINGS & STORAGE

OUR SERVICES

HISTORY

FIND US